CATEGORY B – ACCOMPANIED DRIVING (CAR)
Application for a permit
Documents to furnish:
Minimum age: 17 years
- Medical certificate: less than 3 months old
- 1 passport photo a recent passport photo (taken frontally) in 45 x 35 mm format
- Photocopy of the identity card of each accompanying person
- Photocopy of your identity card
- Special learner driver insurance(s) for accompanied driving
- Signature of the application by one of your parents + photocopy of their identity card if you are under 18 years old
- Extract from your criminal record of your country of origin if you have been resident in Luxembourg for less than 5 years
(6 hours if a driving license of another class is available).
Minimum number of practical hours :
The accompanying person(s)
Two parents or first/second-degree relatives may accompany a candidate at the same time. Except for the parents or first/second-degree relatives, no one can be the companion of more than one candidate at the same time. The companion must have held a Class B driver’s license for at least 6 years. The attendant must be able to justify, on the basis of a judicial extract, not being the subject of a conviction in road traffic legislation, nor being the subject of an administrative or legal forfeiture in road traffic legislation during the last 5 years.
Conditions to be admitted to the accompanied driving :
- The candidate must have passed the theoretical examination. The candidate must have completed at least 12 practical hours. The attendant must be present for at least 2 of the candidate’s practical hours. The driver’s license training certificate for accompanied driving must be validly declared. Conditions for the vehicle used for accompanied driving:
- The vehicle must correspond to the category of driving license class B. The vehicle must have the letter “L” on a red background. Rules to be observed during accompanied driving:
- The accompanying person must sit in the front. Accompanied driving is prohibited between 23.00 and 6.00. Accompanied driving is prohibited outside the territory of Luxembourg. The candidate must be able to show his/her driver’s license training certificate and ID card upon request. The companion must keep a written record of the candidate’s development. Any violation of the legislation of road traffic, entails the cancellation of the accompanied driving. Preparations for the practical exam:
- Before the practical test, the candidate must have completed at least 4 additional practical hours with his instructor (driving school). The attendant(s) must submit a written report to the driving instructor.
- After a possible failure of the practical test, the accompanying driving can be continued only after at least 5 additional practical hours with the instructor. Before taking the practical exam again, the candidate must take at least 3 additional hours.
Issuance of driver’s license:
Once the practical test is passed, the provisional driver’s license is issued for the duration of the stage time, which is 24 months.
At the earliest 3 months after the issuance of this provisional driving license, the holder must attend a practical driving course at the “Centre de Formation pour Conducteurs” in Colmar-Berg.
After the stage time and the participation in the “Centre de Formation pour Conducteurs” the final license will be issued.